RIGHT TO PRIVACY
Because it is important for you to disclose any and all information required by an insurer to provide the insurance coverage that best suits you, you have the right to know that your information will be used for the purpose set out in the privacy statement made available to you by your broker, agent or insurance representative. This information will not be disclosed to anyone except as permitted by law. You should know that insurers are subject to Canada’s privacy laws.
This policy applies to Newman Insurance and may be changed from time to time by updating this page. This policy is effective from June 25, 2015.
We do not sell our customer lists or other personal information to third parties.
Newman Insurance only collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Offering and providing insurance and financial products and services to you;
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal Information with government agencies, industry associations, brokers or insurers;
- Analyzing and assessing risks on a prudent basis;
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums;
- Investigating and paying claims;
- Detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- Compiling statistics;
- Complying with the law or the requests of law enforcement agencies or regulators; and
- Notifying you or allowing our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by us, or our affiliated companies
Personal Information Collected
Depending on the purpose(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including:
Basic information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birth date and marital status.
- Claims history
- Credit and past payment records
- Driver’s record
- Details about your property such as the value of your home and its contents
- Medical information such as any condition that may affect the operation of a vehicle
- Employment information
We may obtain this information from:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance brokers or agents
- Credit organizations
- Motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities
- Financial institutions
- Medical professionals
Lucky Orange Web Analytics Service
Your knowledge and consent of Newman’s collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to NewmanInsurance or through an insurance broker or representative for the purpose of acquiring an insurance contract or financial service or product (including information previously provided to Newman Insurance);
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained within a written, verbal or electronic application process;
- Your consent solicited by Newman Insurance (or our agent) for a specified purpose;
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent or holder of a power of attorney.
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw this consent at any time. Newman Insurance will inform you of the consequences of withdrawing your consent. In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for Newman Insurance to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information. If you wish to withdraw your consent to be notified of marketing initiatives, please call 1-888-768-8001 extension 460.
Newman Insurance will maintain your Personal Information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes.
Newman Insurance will protect your Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location and storage of the Personal Information.
Accountability, Openness & Customer Access
Limiting Collection & Retention of Personal Information
Newman Insurance will only collect, use or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes or as required by law. If we require Personal Information for any other purpose, you will be notified of the new purpose, and subject to your consent, that new purpose will become an Identified Purpose. Newman Insurance will only collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We will retain Personal Information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of the Identified Purposes.
While visiting our website, Newman Insurance is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages of our website are being visited. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. Choosing not to accept cookies may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Consent to receive email
By completing a form on our website, you are providing consent for us to use your contact information to respond to your inquiry. We will ask if you would like to be added to our mailing list to receive information regarding insurance products and promotional offers. On our website, we may offer information in the form of downloadable documents which will require joining our mailing list to receive. You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link included in every email we send.
If you are not satisfied with Newman Insurance response to a privacy related inquiry or complaint, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada during business hours at 1-800-282-1376 or at www.privcom.gc.ca.
To Contact Us
If you wish to submit questions or complaints concerning our Policy or our procedure relating to privacy, please forward them to our Privacy Officer, Calvin Newman:
35 Front Street North, P. O. Box 369
Campbellford, ON K0L 1L0
Should we fail to answer your questions or complaints in a satisfactory manner, you may forward them to:
Privacy Commissioner of Canada
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1H3
Phone number: (613) 995-8210
Toll free: 1-800-282-1376
Fax number: (613) 947-6850