The Newman Blog
Don't let your vehicle catch a cold
In the winter, your car faces different challenges due to ice, snow, and extreme temperatures. The best trick for drivers is to gear up their cars before the weather hits.
Here are a few tips to help you get ready before the first snowfall:
- Install snow tires: Snow tires improve traction with more aggressive tread, allowing them to more safely power a car through slippery snow. In Ontario, you may be eligible for a discount on your car insurance for having snow tires on your car throughout the winter.
- Check your tire pressure: Tire pressures drops more quickly in cold weather, so top up your tires often to help prevent sliding.
- Have an emergency kit ready: Store an emergency kit including a flashlight, first aid kit, warm clothing and blankets, road salt, shovel, scraper, emergency food supply and bottled water.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to approach the upcoming elements with caution as you safely steer your way through the winter.
Here comes hail, now what?
Hailstorms can cause significant damage to your vehicle. With hail that can reach the size of golf balls falling from the sky, it is not uncommon for hail to break windows, and dent cars.
If you experience vehicle or property damage from a hailstorm, call your insurance company immediately. They will be able to guide you through the claim process if needed.
Here are some important tips that everyone should consider if they experience damage from a hail storm:
- Take photos: Photos are your proof that damage occurred. It will also validate your claim and move the claim process along quicker.
- Record all details: Record all details of the hail storm. Write down the time, location, and date of the storm and make note of all the damage that occurred to your vehicle.
- File immediately: File your property damage claim as close to the event as possible. It is easier to file a claim when all the details are fresh in your mind. And you can complete the claim process and get it over with.
Following these three easy steps will make your auto claim that much easier.
Are you thinking of customizing or modifying your vehicle?
Flurries of snow also mean the holiday season is near, and you may be putting your list together for Santa. If your list includes items to soup up your car like non-stock spoilers, enhanced engines, raised suspensions and the like, here’s what you need to know.
While adding performance parts and ‘styling’ features to your vehicle can give it a distinct appearance and improve performance, they may also impact your auto insurance. So, before you customize or modify your vehicle, it’s a good idea to contact your Newman Insurance representative to make certain you have the right coverage.
Vehicle modifications can increase risk and premiums as certain modifications can put motorists at a greater risk of having a collision, such as a lowered or raised suspension, or increasing the size of the engine. As a result, the vehicle could become untrustworthy on the road and impact your safety as well as access to coverage.
Customization or modifications may increase the cost of insurance for the following reasons:
- The modifications might increase the value of the vehicle, therefore increasing claims costs
- Modified vehicles often are more attractive to thieves increasing the risk of theft
- Vehicles with performance modifications generally mean that the performance of the vehicle is improved which can lead to more severe accidents
Be sure to speak with your Newman representative before customizing or modifying your vehicle.
Read more posts
Get the right insurance
Tell us what's important to you.
We'll help you get the right insurance at the right price.